Adults also affected by junk food advertising
Melbourne: Scientists have challenged the idea that adults are better equipped than children to resist junk food advertising.
The research, led by Health Promotion Evaluation Unit Director Professor Simone Pettigrew, at The University of Western Australia, found both parents and kids are influenced by television and Internet advertising on junk food.
Researchers studied the impact of TV and Internet food advertising on more than 1000 Australian parents and 1000 children.
Researchers from UWA, the University of Adelaide and the Cancer Council surveyed parents and their children aged eight to 14 who viewed advertisements for four commonly advertised energy-dense but nutrient-poor foods.
The maximum age of 14 is based on a previous assumption that up until this age children may be unable to activate the cognitive defences required to withstand advertising effects.
Adults, by comparison, are considered to be sceptical of advertising and able to activate appropriate cognitive defences.
After watching each ad once, the parents evaluated the products more favourably, had a greater desire to consume the products and thought they could eat them more frequently.
"Adults are thought to have greater immunity to advertising effects relative to children due to their greater cognitive processing abilities," Pettigrew said.
"As a result, existing food advertising regulations are focused primarily on limiting children`s exposure to advertisements for junk food.
"But these regulations don`t take into account the broader influence of the sheer quantity of junk food ads, which has the potential to normalise the consumption of these foods in a social sense.
"The results of our study indicate that advertising can lead both parents and children to evaluate these products more favourably and influence how desirable and acceptable they are," she said.
The study was published in Public Health Nutrition journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?