Adults `getting substantial calories from alcohol`
Washington: An average adult drinks in 100 calories daily from beer, wine and other alcoholic beverages, researchers say.
The National Center for Health Statistics report looked at alcohol consumption of U.S. adults ages 20 and up, using data from national surveys conducted between 2007 and 2010.
When participants were asked how much alcohol they had consumed in the previous 24 hours, 33 percent of men and 18 percent of women reported consuming alcohol on any given day.
"It is certainly not a good health strategy to have alcohol calories constituting a significant percentage of total calorie consumption. This is especially true for women and those dieting who would be better off avoiding all alcoholic beverages until their weight goals are met or at most limiting alcohol to one drink no more than two days a week," Dian Griesel, and Tom Griesel, authors of the books `TurboCharged: Accelerate Your Fat Burning Metabolism, Get Lean Fast and Leave Diet and Exercise Rules in the Dust`, said.
"There`s been plenty of focus on sugar-sweetened beverages and their potential link to the obesity epidemic," Tom said.
"However, people seem to forget the number of empty calories in their alcoholic beverage of choice. Although some studies have found health benefits from daily alcohol consumption such as a decreased risk of heart attack and stroke, current dietary guidelines recommend that alcohol is consumed in moderation. This means no more than one daily drink for women and two for men," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand