Ageing India lonely, resigned: Survey
New Delhi:A new survey puts paid to the notion of the elderly being treated with respect in India.
Nearly three-quarters of all old people in the country are ready to move to a community that offers them special services, said the survey, whose results were released Wednesday, adding that a large number of them feel lonely, though they are also resigned to their fate.
Today`s seniors are living alone in an environment where they are not satisfied with the current security options. Eighty percent of the seniors surveyed were concerned about the possibility of theft and violence, as they lived alone.
The three-month survey, conducted between October and December 2012 by AZ Research, a firm that ran the survey in 12 cities of India and questioned 1,900 elders, showcased interesting trends.
"The need for a comprehensive senior living community in today`s day and age is increasing. Three out of every four seniors are open to moving to an assisted senior living community and seniors are increasingly seeking and willing to pay for residential communities with housekeeping support and leisure avenues," Sujay Misra of AZ Research said.
Security are one of the top three requirements from a living space.
The survey indicated that about eighty percent of senior citizens are not satisfied with current security options and were concerned about the possibility of break-ins and stealing.
"Six out of ten elders do not wish to live in a home that does not have guaranteed security. Most of them fear for their safety. The seniors seek high-end security systems that structured homes offer," the survey said.
Nearly eighty percent of the seniors surveyed said they would like to continue working after retirement to sustain their lifestyle or improve it.
"Most of the elders do not want to relax. Many aspire for a new career. Those who are above 70 years old expressed a desire for new hobbies. Many wish to socialize, visit clubs and party. They also wanted exercise, games and shopping," the survey showed.
Help Age India, an NGO working for the elderly holds that currently, India has 98 million elderly citizens (over the age of 60). The figure is expected to touch a whopping 118 million by 2016.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly