Agreement with Biological E to lower cost of vaccine: GAVI
New Delhi: The cost of immunising millions of the world`s most vulnerable children against five deadly and debilitating diseases is set to fall due to a supply agreement of GAVI with India based Biological E Ltd for five-in-one injections.
"A supply agreement with Biological E Ltd of India makes the five-in-one shot available to GAVI for just USD 1.19 per dose, compared to the 2012 weighted average price of USD 2.17," GAVI Alliance web site today said.
GAVI Alliance was created in 2000 to accelerate the introduction of new vaccines so that all children, no matter where they live, had the same access to this life-saving technology.
This new, more cost-effective price provides the opportunity for the GAVI Alliance to pay up to USD 150 million less over the next four years compared with using lowest cost alternative suppliers, it added.
Commenting on the development, GAVI Alliance CEO Seth Berkley said: "This is great news for children in the world`s poorest countries and it shows that our innovative public- private partnership model is working well."
Demand for pentavalent vaccine has been strong, with 70 of the 73 GAVI-eligible countries having already introduced it.
Pentavalent vaccines combine the antigens for five infectious diseases in a single shot, namely diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, hepatitis B and Haemophilus influenzae type B (Hib).
"This partnership demonstrates the growing role of developing world manufacturers in the sustainable supply of effective, affordable vaccines," Biological E Managing Director Mahima Datla said on the development.
Commenting on the agreement Co-chair of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Bill Gates said: "More affordable vaccines help us save and protect more children."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- DNA: Dr Subhash Chandra Show to focus on building new enterprise
- DNA: Today in History, 26th August, 2016
- Space X Dragon successfully splashes down in Pacific Ocean with crucial NASA research samples
- Good news! Shahid Kapoor and wifey Mira Rajput blessed with a baby girl
- Obama establishes world`s largest marine reserve in Hawaii
- Canadian twins plead guilty to terrorism, face jail time
- Apple issues update after cyber weapon captured