AIDS killed nearly 18,000 Chinese this year
Beijing: Around 17,740 people have died in China this year due to AIDS, the country`s health authority announced Wednesday.
The figure from January to October is a 8.6 percent increase year-on-year, Xinhua reported.
The ministry of health said 34,157 new AIDS cases were reported in China in the 10 months, up by 12.7 percent year-on-year.
HIV cases have risen among people aged 15 to 24 and those over 50.
In total, China had 492,191 cases of HIV/AIDS by the end of October.
Sexual transmission has become the primary cause of the spread of HIV, and sex between men registered a sharp increase, the ministry said.
Of the new cases in the 10-month period, 85 percent contracted the virus through sex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report