AIDS killed nearly 18,000 Chinese this year
Beijing: Around 17,740 people have died in China this year due to AIDS, the country`s health authority announced Wednesday.
The figure from January to October is a 8.6 percent increase year-on-year, Xinhua reported.
The ministry of health said 34,157 new AIDS cases were reported in China in the 10 months, up by 12.7 percent year-on-year.
HIV cases have risen among people aged 15 to 24 and those over 50.
In total, China had 492,191 cases of HIV/AIDS by the end of October.
Sexual transmission has become the primary cause of the spread of HIV, and sex between men registered a sharp increase, the ministry said.
Of the new cases in the 10-month period, 85 percent contracted the virus through sex.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know