AIDS killed nearly 18,000 Chinese this year
Beijing: Around 17,740 people have died in China this year due to AIDS, the country`s health authority announced Wednesday.
The figure from January to October is a 8.6 percent increase year-on-year, Xinhua reported.
The ministry of health said 34,157 new AIDS cases were reported in China in the 10 months, up by 12.7 percent year-on-year.
HIV cases have risen among people aged 15 to 24 and those over 50.
In total, China had 492,191 cases of HIV/AIDS by the end of October.
Sexual transmission has become the primary cause of the spread of HIV, and sex between men registered a sharp increase, the ministry said.
Of the new cases in the 10-month period, 85 percent contracted the virus through sex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Harsimrat writes to RS chairman for action on Jairam, Renuka
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion