AIDS killed nearly 18,000 Chinese this year
Beijing: Around 17,740 people have died in China this year due to AIDS, the country`s health authority announced Wednesday.
The figure from January to October is a 8.6 percent increase year-on-year, Xinhua reported.
The ministry of health said 34,157 new AIDS cases were reported in China in the 10 months, up by 12.7 percent year-on-year.
HIV cases have risen among people aged 15 to 24 and those over 50.
In total, China had 492,191 cases of HIV/AIDS by the end of October.
Sexual transmission has become the primary cause of the spread of HIV, and sex between men registered a sharp increase, the ministry said.
Of the new cases in the 10-month period, 85 percent contracted the virus through sex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch