AIIMS felicitates families for donating organs of loved ones
New Delhi: It was hard for 41-year-old Seema Bindal to see her daughter die in front of her eyes, but she decided to keep her 16-year-old girl "alive" by donating her organs to those in need of them.
Seema and her family were among many such families who were felicitated by AIIMS and Indian Society for Trauma and Acute Care (ISTAC) today on the concluding day of the sixth International Congress -- TRAUMA 2013 -- for deciding to donate the organs of their loved ones after their death.
Surbhi (16) was declared brought dead at the AIIMS Trauma Centre on September 13 after the wall of an under-construction building collapsed and fell on her.
Putting her grief beside, Seema decided that she will donate her daughter's organs to the needy in order to give them the "gift of life".
"I wanted my daughter to remain alive and that is why I donated her organs. Today she is alive among other people to whom she has given life," said the Krishanagar resident.
Jamboo Kumar Das, a resident of Janakpuri, too decided to donate the organs of his 22-years-old daughter Bhavna who died after she allegedly attempted suicide by jumping from the second floor of her house.
"After knowing that our daughter cannot survive, we decided on the suggestion of AIIMS doctors to donate her organs," Das said.
At the event, parents of Anmol Juneja, who had died in a motorbike accident near the Patparganj flyover while returning from a party in December last year, were also present.
Dr M C Mishra, Director of AIIMS and also the chief of the trauma centre, felicitated the families and spoke about the importance of organ donation.
The event included a session on cadaver organ donation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown