AIIMS medics save eight lives through organ donation
New Delhi: Doctors at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) here Friday saved eight lives through cadaver organ donation.
The donor was a 45-year-old woman victim of a road accident who received severe head injuries, and was declared brain dead March 27, the hospital said.
The husband and brother of the deceased agreed to sign the consent form, allowing the donation of her liver, heart valves, kidneys and corneas.
"The Organ Retrieval and Banking Organisation was alerted, and the AIIMS transplant coordinator counselled the family for organ donation," said an AIIMS statement.
The organ retrieval was done by a team of AIIMS doctors and subsequently transplanted later in the day.
The kidneys were transplanted to an adult and a paediatric recipient, and the liver also to a recipient. The heart valves and corneas were preserved to be transplanted to suitable recipients later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad