AIIMS students` stir continues, Director forms panel
New Delhi: Agitating MBBS students at AIIMS today staged protests demanding removal of its Director following the alleged suicide by a first-year student as their
indefinite strike entered the second day.
The insitute, however, said that AIIMS Director has constituted a panel comprising senior faculty to verify whether the results of Anil Meena, who aleggedly committed
suicide on Sunday, had been prepared as per the prescribed rules.
Wearing black ribbons and raising slogans, nearly 400 MBBS students at AIIMS gheraoed R C Deka`s office and demanded his resignation. This was followed by a candle light march in the evening.
Meena (22), who hailed from Baran district in Rajasthan, was found hanging by his friends in his hostel room on Sunday morning. He was immediately taken to the hospital where doctors declared him brought dead.
"All students have decided to protest until the administration takes the moral responsibility for such incidents and follows it with measures related to students
welfare which should be enacted immediately so as to prevent such future episiodes," one of the protesting students said.
The Students Union today subimtted a memorandum with the office of the Director which included the demand for investigation into incident.
An official statement issued by the hospital authorities said that the Group set up by the Director will scrutinise the entire record pertaining to the academic performance of late Anil Meena and give its findings to the Institute.
"In view of the discontent expressed by the under graduate students with the mentoring mechanism in the institute and also the complaint that the recommendations of
the Thorat Committee have not been fully implemented, the Director, AIIMS has appointed Professor Sukhdev Thorat, former Chairman, UGC to examine the extent of implementation of the recommendations of the Thorat Committee by the Institute," the
The statement further said that Professor Sukhdev Thorat has been requested to submit his recommendations within a period of one month will also suggest further measures for the welfare and academic enhancement of under graduate students and particularly students from SC, ST and OBC categories.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past