AIIMS treating stroke patients with stem cells
New Delhi: Giving a new ray of hope to
stroke patients, doctors at AIIMS are now trying to treat
brain damage resulting from it with stem cells.
"Doctors here are trying to treat stroke patients who
have suffered paralysis or disability with stem cells. It is
in the research stage. The results are expected soon," Dinesh
Trivedi, Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare said
while inaugurating the Fifth National Congress on Indian
Stroke Association and International Stroke Conference.
"Treatment for stroke patients has improved rapidly.
Research is being carried out to treat patients who have
turned to hospital after suffering strokes two to three years
ago. The results are expected in another six months," M V
Padma, a neurologist at AIIMS, said.
Brain stroke is the third largest killer in India
after heart attack and cancer. It occurs when a blood vessel
carrying oxygen and nutrients to the brain is blocked by a
clot or bursts, causing the brain to starve.
If deprived of oxygen for even a short period of time,
the brain cells begin to die. Once this happens the part of
the body controlled by that section of the brain is affected,
"Small signals are important for strokes which are even
ignored by physicians. It is necessary to spread awareness and
knowledge about this disease," said Trivedi.
"If we have to prevent stroke, the patient should be
referred to the correct physician and as early as possible,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part II
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part III
- DNA: Media bribed for suppressing details of AgustaWestland chopper scam
- DNA: India's own GPS system, IRNSS-G1 successfully launched
- PM Modi tests performance of BJP MPs on social media; Sushma Swaraj emerges star performer
- CAD to widen to $25 billion in FY17 on surge in gold imports, sluggish exports: Report
- Govt to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose on Friday
- Scary! Truck carrying firecrackers catches fire at Yamuna Expressway – Watch
- Watch video: Top 10 incredible health benefits of pineapples!