Alcohol accounts for 6 percent of adults’ calorie intake
Washington: Sodas and sugar-sweetened beverages aren’t the only drinks contributing calories to people’s diets, as alcohol accounts for about 5 percent of adults’ caloric intake, a new study has revealed.
Sugary drinks, often the target of public health campaigns and an upcoming New York City law, account for about 6 percent of adults’ calories.
“We’ve been focusing on sugar-sweetened beverages. This is something new,” CBS News quoted one of the study’s authors Cynthia Ogden, an epidemiologist with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as saying.
The government researchers said that the findings deserve attention because, like soda, alcohol contains few nutrients but plenty of calories.
The CDC study is based on interviews with more than 11,000 US adults from 2007 through 2010.
Participants were asked extensive questions about what they ate and drank over the previous 24 hours.
The study found that the US adult population consumes an average of almost 100 calories per day from alcoholic beverages, with men consuming more than women.
On any given day, about one-third of men and one-fifth of women consumed calories from beer, wine or liquor.
Averaged out to all adults, men consume 150 calories from alcohol each day, about the equivalent of a can of Budweiser. The average woman drinks about 50 calories or roughly half a glass of wine.
For reference, a 12-ounce can of regular Coca-Cola has 140 calories, slightly less than a same-sized can of regular Bud. A 5-ounce glass of wine is around 100 calories.
Men drink mostly beer. For women, there was no clear favorite among alcoholic beverages.
There were no differences among different races and ethnicities, but there was an age difference in the study carried out.
Young people drank more. Men between 20 and 39 consume almost 175 calories on average from alcoholic drinks, while older men aged 60 and over take in about 96 calories from booze.
Similarly, younger women took in about 60 calories from alcohol while older women consumed about 33 calories from alcoholic drinks.
Although 67 percent of men and 82 percent of women did not drink alcoholic beverages on a given day, almost 20 percent of men and 6 percent of women took in more than 300 calories from alcoholic drinks daily.
The findings are published on the CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics website.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes