Anger causes inflammatory diseases
Those who become angry or anxious easily are more prone to inflammatory diseases like cardiovascular ailments than others, says a new study.
"This could help explain why some people with high levels of stress experience chronic health problems," said Judith Carroll, who conducted the study at the University of Pittsburgh.
The investigators asked healthy middle-aged individuals to complete a speech in the lab in front of a video camera and a panel of judges, the journal Brain, Behaviour and Immunity reports.
During the speech, they monitored the physical responses to the task and then afterwards asked them about the emotions they had experienced, according to a Pittsburgh statement.
"Most people show increases in heart rate and blood pressure when they complete a stressful task," explained Carroll, "but some also show increases in a circulating marker of inflammation known as interleukin-6."
Inflammation is a process by which the body`s white blood cells protect us from infection and foreign substances such as bacteria and viruses.
"Individuals who become angry or anxious when confronting relatively minor challenges in their lives are prone to increases in inflammation," said study author Anna Marsland, associate professor of psychology and nursing at the University of Pittsburgh.
"Over time, this may render these emotionally-reactive individuals more vulnerable to inflammatory diseases, such as cardiovascular disease," said Marsland.
Do you like this story?
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown