Anger causes inflammatory diseases
Those who become angry or anxious easily are more prone to inflammatory diseases like cardiovascular ailments than others, says a new study.
"This could help explain why some people with high levels of stress experience chronic health problems," said Judith Carroll, who conducted the study at the University of Pittsburgh.
The investigators asked healthy middle-aged individuals to complete a speech in the lab in front of a video camera and a panel of judges, the journal Brain, Behaviour and Immunity reports.
During the speech, they monitored the physical responses to the task and then afterwards asked them about the emotions they had experienced, according to a Pittsburgh statement.
"Most people show increases in heart rate and blood pressure when they complete a stressful task," explained Carroll, "but some also show increases in a circulating marker of inflammation known as interleukin-6."
Inflammation is a process by which the body`s white blood cells protect us from infection and foreign substances such as bacteria and viruses.
"Individuals who become angry or anxious when confronting relatively minor challenges in their lives are prone to increases in inflammation," said study author Anna Marsland, associate professor of psychology and nursing at the University of Pittsburgh.
"Over time, this may render these emotionally-reactive individuals more vulnerable to inflammatory diseases, such as cardiovascular disease," said Marsland.
Do you like this story?
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know