Anti-ageing pill may help prevent Alzheimer`s, cancer
London: Carnosine, which is taken as a dietary supplement, could help protect against a host of diseases from cancer to Alzheimer`s disease, scientists have claimed.
The powerful antioxidant tablet is already used in anti-ageing products and by athletes to delay muscle fatigue.
Now, a new study, published in the Chemistry Central Journal, has revealed that it could offer hope to millions struck down by the devastating illnesses, the Daily Express reported.
Scientists say it could even protect against Parkinson`s and prevent complications of Type 2 diabetes.
Lead researcher Roslyn Bill, Professor of biotechnology at Aston University, Birmingham, said: "If it could be targeted a bit more specifically, there could be much more benefit in the longer term."
Carnosine, a naturally occurring chemical in the body, is available in health food stores and pharmacies and can cost just 22p a pill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Uttarakhand Speaker rejects disqualification of rebel BJP MLA
- US says Iraq's PM in ''strong position'' amid political unrest
- US Navy chief hopes for `normalization` with Russia in Baltic
- Turkey says Gaziantep attacker linked to IS
- US Presidential polls: Donald Trump looks to smother Ted Cruz as Indiana votes today