Anti-ageing pill may help prevent Alzheimer`s, cancer
London: Carnosine, which is taken as a dietary supplement, could help protect against a host of diseases from cancer to Alzheimer`s disease, scientists have claimed.
The powerful antioxidant tablet is already used in anti-ageing products and by athletes to delay muscle fatigue.
Now, a new study, published in the Chemistry Central Journal, has revealed that it could offer hope to millions struck down by the devastating illnesses, the Daily Express reported.
Scientists say it could even protect against Parkinson`s and prevent complications of Type 2 diabetes.
Lead researcher Roslyn Bill, Professor of biotechnology at Aston University, Birmingham, said: "If it could be targeted a bit more specifically, there could be much more benefit in the longer term."
Carnosine, a naturally occurring chemical in the body, is available in health food stores and pharmacies and can cost just 22p a pill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in