Anti-ageing pill may help prevent Alzheimer`s, cancer
London: Carnosine, which is taken as a dietary supplement, could help protect against a host of diseases from cancer to Alzheimer`s disease, scientists have claimed.
The powerful antioxidant tablet is already used in anti-ageing products and by athletes to delay muscle fatigue.
Now, a new study, published in the Chemistry Central Journal, has revealed that it could offer hope to millions struck down by the devastating illnesses, the Daily Express reported.
Scientists say it could even protect against Parkinson`s and prevent complications of Type 2 diabetes.
Lead researcher Roslyn Bill, Professor of biotechnology at Aston University, Birmingham, said: "If it could be targeted a bit more specifically, there could be much more benefit in the longer term."
Carnosine, a naturally occurring chemical in the body, is available in health food stores and pharmacies and can cost just 22p a pill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days