Anti-ageing pill may help prevent Alzheimer`s, cancer
London: Carnosine, which is taken as a dietary supplement, could help protect against a host of diseases from cancer to Alzheimer`s disease, scientists have claimed.
The powerful antioxidant tablet is already used in anti-ageing products and by athletes to delay muscle fatigue.
Now, a new study, published in the Chemistry Central Journal, has revealed that it could offer hope to millions struck down by the devastating illnesses, the Daily Express reported.
Scientists say it could even protect against Parkinson`s and prevent complications of Type 2 diabetes.
Lead researcher Roslyn Bill, Professor of biotechnology at Aston University, Birmingham, said: "If it could be targeted a bit more specifically, there could be much more benefit in the longer term."
Carnosine, a naturally occurring chemical in the body, is available in health food stores and pharmacies and can cost just 22p a pill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj