Antidepressants linked to increased risks of bleeding after surgery
Washington: Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) - one of the widely prescribed antidepressants -have been associated with increased risk of bleeding, transfusion, hospital readmission and mortality when taken around the time of surgery, a new study has revealed.
The researchers at UC San Francisco and Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, Massachussetts, looked at the medical records of more than 530,000 patients who underwent surgery at 375 U.S. hospitals between 2006 and 2008.
"There have been small studies that suggested there was a problem, but it has never been well-proven," lead author Andrew D. Auerbach, MD, MPH, a UCSF professor of medicine, said.
"With this huge data set, we feel confident in saying that SSRIs are associated with about a 10 percent increased risk for these adverse outcomes."
The researchers noted that patients on SSRIs are more likely to have conditions that in themselves increase surgical risk, like obesity, chronic pulmonary disease and depression.
To address the question of whether these factors may have accounted for the differences in outcomes, they retrospectively matched patients who had taken SSRIs with patients who were not taking the drugs.
After matching and controlling for variables like age, gender, medical condition and depression, they found that patients on SSRIs still were at increased risk.
The researchers also looked at whether the increased risk could be accounted for by patients receiving SSRIs for the first time before surgery.
"This was not the case. These drugs are almost never used acutely. They are prescribed for chronic conditions such as depression, almost always for long-term use," said Auerbach.
However, noted Auerbach, SSRIs are known to interfere with the functioning of platelets - blood cells that play a crucial role in blood clotting. In turn, platelet dysfunction can lead to excess bleeding.
Their results have been published in JAMA Internal Medicine.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case