Antioxidants do not help women conceive
Washington: A new study has revealed that there is no high quality evidence that antioxidant supplements help increase a woman`s chances of having a baby.
According to the results of a new systematic review, women were no more likely to conceive when taking oral antioxidants and that there was limited information about potential harms.
Around a quarter of couples planning a baby are thought to have difficulty conceiving.
Women undergoing fertility treatment often take dietary supplements, including antioxidants, to try to increase their chances of becoming pregnant.
However, many antioxidant supplements taken to improve fertility are unregulated and there is limited evidence on their safety and effects.
The researchers analysed data from 28 trials involving a total of 3,548 women attending fertility clinics.
Antioxidants did not increase the women`s chances of conceiving or having a baby.
The results show no significant increase in women becoming pregnant when taking antioxidants compared to those taking placebos or being given standard treatment, including folic acid.
"There is no evidence in this review that suggests taking an antioxidant is beneficial for women who are trying to conceive ," lead researcher, Marian Showell, who works in Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the University of Auckland in Auckland, New Zealand, said.
The findings are published in The Cochrane Library.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Funny video alert! Nana Patekar’s ‘Beat Pe Booty’ mashup is hilarious
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS