Antioxidants do not help women conceive
Washington: A new study has revealed that there is no high quality evidence that antioxidant supplements help increase a woman`s chances of having a baby.
According to the results of a new systematic review, women were no more likely to conceive when taking oral antioxidants and that there was limited information about potential harms.
Around a quarter of couples planning a baby are thought to have difficulty conceiving.
Women undergoing fertility treatment often take dietary supplements, including antioxidants, to try to increase their chances of becoming pregnant.
However, many antioxidant supplements taken to improve fertility are unregulated and there is limited evidence on their safety and effects.
The researchers analysed data from 28 trials involving a total of 3,548 women attending fertility clinics.
Antioxidants did not increase the women`s chances of conceiving or having a baby.
The results show no significant increase in women becoming pregnant when taking antioxidants compared to those taking placebos or being given standard treatment, including folic acid.
"There is no evidence in this review that suggests taking an antioxidant is beneficial for women who are trying to conceive ," lead researcher, Marian Showell, who works in Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the University of Auckland in Auckland, New Zealand, said.
The findings are published in The Cochrane Library.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report