Antioxidants do not help women conceive
Washington: A new study has revealed that there is no high quality evidence that antioxidant supplements help increase a woman`s chances of having a baby.
According to the results of a new systematic review, women were no more likely to conceive when taking oral antioxidants and that there was limited information about potential harms.
Around a quarter of couples planning a baby are thought to have difficulty conceiving.
Women undergoing fertility treatment often take dietary supplements, including antioxidants, to try to increase their chances of becoming pregnant.
However, many antioxidant supplements taken to improve fertility are unregulated and there is limited evidence on their safety and effects.
The researchers analysed data from 28 trials involving a total of 3,548 women attending fertility clinics.
Antioxidants did not increase the women`s chances of conceiving or having a baby.
The results show no significant increase in women becoming pregnant when taking antioxidants compared to those taking placebos or being given standard treatment, including folic acid.
"There is no evidence in this review that suggests taking an antioxidant is beneficial for women who are trying to conceive ," lead researcher, Marian Showell, who works in Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the University of Auckland in Auckland, New Zealand, said.
The findings are published in The Cochrane Library.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued