Are you sleep deprived?
Sleep disorders can have a rather debilating effect on your life if you don`t get it under control. There are different types of sleep problems - snoring, insomnia, sleep deprivation, sleep talking and walking.
Experts recommend that you get at least seven to eight hours of sleep everyday. The different stages of sleep impact the quality of sleep, quantity, and even your dreams.
Here`s a list of sleep problems:
Anyone can have a snoring problem, irrespective of gender or age. Snoring is caused when the flow of air gets narrowed through the mouth and nose. As a result, snoring sounds are caused when the tissues of the nose and throat begin to vibrate.
Insomnia can be defined as difficulty in initiating and inability to maintain sleep. This is usually caused due to inadequate quantity and quality of sleep. Though insomnia affects all age groups, it is more common among alcoholics, heavy smokers, people with anxiety disorders.
It is basically talking while one`s asleep, while being unaware of it. It is also known as somniloquy and can occur in both kids an adults. Though sleep talking can be a funny thing but it can also turn violent and vulgar at times. Causes range from inadequate sleep, stress, emotional issues etc.
It is basically walking in while one`s asleep, while being unaware of it. It is also known as somnambulism and is more common among children. Sleep walking can become dangerous when one wanders around for a distance. It usually occurs during the deeper stages of sleep. Causes range from inadequate sleep, stress, side-effects of certain medications, irregular sleeping schedules etc.
Dealing with sleep problems
- The first step is to maintaining adequate sleep. One should practice a regular bedtime schedule. Try waking up at the same time each morning, even if it`s a weekend or holiday.
- One must avoid napping during the day, as this will only result in keeping one awake at night.
- Indulging in stressful activities two hours before sleeping, tends to make one restless and thus, unable to sleep. Exercising regularly aids in sound sleep, but exercise earlier in the day.
- Practice relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing, yoga, or meditation before going to sleep.
- A bedroom which isn`t bright, quiet, and cool aids in better sleep. Use earplugs or eye shades if required.
- Abstain products that contain caffeine, such as coffee, tea, soft drinks, or diet pills.
- Do not consume alcohol or smoke before sleeping as it interferes with sleep.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India