Artificial sweetener and table sugar may not increase fatty liver disease
Washington: A new study has found compelling evidence that shows that consumption of both high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) and sucrose (table sugar) at levels consistent with average daily consumption does not increase liver fat in humans - a leading cause of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).
The findings also added to an already well-established body of science that HFCS and table sugar are metabolically equivalent.
The study, conducted by James Rippe, MD, Founder and Director of the Rippe Lifestyle Institute and Professor of Biomedical Sciences at the University of Central Florida, examined 64 people, who consumed low-fat milk sweetened with either HFCS or sucrose with the added sugar matching the 25th, 50th and 90th percentile population consumption levels of fructose for ten weeks.
The results showed that fat content of the liver was unchanged when the six HFCS and sucrose groups were averaged.
Fat content in muscle tissue also remained unchanged over the 10 weeks when the six HFCS and sucrose groups were averaged.
The two largest sources of fructose in the human diet are sucrose (containing 50 percent fructose and 50 percent glucose) and HFCS which is present in the human diet in two forms: HFCS-55 (which consists of 55 percent fructose, 42 percent glucose and 3 percent other carbohydrates) and HFCS-42 (which consists of 42 percent fructose and 58 percent glucose).
The study has been published in the Journal of Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi participates in SCO annual meet in Tashkent
- Pink auto introduced in Ghaziabad specifically for women
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Govt mulls converting unused airports into SEZs
- India's NSG membership to be discussed at special session in Seoul tonight
- Check manabadi.com for BIE Telangana/TS Board Intermediate 1st Year / 2nd Year Examination Results 2016, Telangana BIE Class 12 Supplementary Results 2016
- 34 PhD holders and 12,000 engineers apply for 4th grade job in MP
- Airlines are not 'demons': Civil Aviation Minister