Asbestos workers at risk from heart disease
Paris: Already facing heightened risks of cancer, asbestos workers also run a greater danger of heart disease and stroke, a British study published today said.
Researchers looked into more than 15,000 deaths that occurred among nearly 99,000 workers in the British asbestos industry between 1971 and 2005.
Almost 4,200 deaths were caused by heart disease and more than 1,000 by a stroke, particularly among women.
Male asbestos workers were 63 per cent likelier to die of a stroke and 39 per cent likelier to die of heart disease when compared with the general public, even when smoking was taken into account.
The corresponding figures for female asbestos workers were 100 per cent and 89 per cent.
The workers were part of a survey set up in 1971 to monitor the long-term health of people in the asbestos industry.
Most of the male workers had been employed in removing asbestos, and the female workers were generally employed in manufacturing that included asbestos.
The investigation, led by Anne-Helen Harding of Britain`s Health and Safety Laboratory, appears in the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine.
Asbestos was widely used as a fire retardant until the late 20th century when it began to be outlawed for causing a form of cancer called mesothelioma and a lung disease called asbestosis.
Doctors have long wondered whether asbestos, as an inflammatory agent, is also a risk factor for cardiovascular disease.
But the connection has until now never been clear, mainly because studies lacked information about whether an individual smoked.
Over half of the women in the new study were smokers at the time of their first medical examination, and these proportions were almost unchanged when they had their last assessment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown