Asbestos workers at risk from heart disease
Paris: Already facing heightened risks of cancer, asbestos workers also run a greater danger of heart disease and stroke, a British study published today said.
Researchers looked into more than 15,000 deaths that occurred among nearly 99,000 workers in the British asbestos industry between 1971 and 2005.
Almost 4,200 deaths were caused by heart disease and more than 1,000 by a stroke, particularly among women.
Male asbestos workers were 63 per cent likelier to die of a stroke and 39 per cent likelier to die of heart disease when compared with the general public, even when smoking was taken into account.
The corresponding figures for female asbestos workers were 100 per cent and 89 per cent.
The workers were part of a survey set up in 1971 to monitor the long-term health of people in the asbestos industry.
Most of the male workers had been employed in removing asbestos, and the female workers were generally employed in manufacturing that included asbestos.
The investigation, led by Anne-Helen Harding of Britain`s Health and Safety Laboratory, appears in the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine.
Asbestos was widely used as a fire retardant until the late 20th century when it began to be outlawed for causing a form of cancer called mesothelioma and a lung disease called asbestosis.
Doctors have long wondered whether asbestos, as an inflammatory agent, is also a risk factor for cardiovascular disease.
But the connection has until now never been clear, mainly because studies lacked information about whether an individual smoked.
Over half of the women in the new study were smokers at the time of their first medical examination, and these proportions were almost unchanged when they had their last assessment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!