Zee Media Bureau
New York: In a rare case, a two and-a-half year-old toddler in Pennsylvania suffered a life-threatening allergic reaction called anaphylaxis after eating an orange, highlighting the dangerous link between allergies and asthma.
It is the first time that such a case has been reported in someone so young.
Anaphylaxis is a serious allergic reaction that is rapid in onset and may cause death. The symptoms including itchy rashes, throat swelling, and low blood pressure. Common causes include insect bites, stings, foods and medications
According to Sigrid DaVeiga, allergist and member of the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI), the two and-a-half year-old girl had developed severe anaphylaxis within a few minutes after she ate an orange.
“Her lips and tongue swelled, she broke out in hives and could not breathe well. Her parents immediately got her to an emergency room, and she was flown by helicopter to a pediatric intensive care unit,” DaVeiga told the gathering at ACAAI's annual scientific meeting.
However, doctors were quick to find out that her strange allergy was triggered by her undiagnosed asthma.
Following treatment and a 48-hour hospital stay, the girl recovered and was able to go home.
Although she had previously had orange juice with no reaction, in one particular incidence a simple orange snack resulted in life threatening allergic reaction.
Upon examination of her medical history, doctors discovered that she had undiagnosed asthma.
Allergists also found that she was allergic to both orange and peach.
“Even more important, when asthma is undiagnosed or poorly controlled, children are at risk of suffering difficult-to-treat allergic reactions to food,” DaVeiga concluded.
The ACAAI said it is very rare for anyone to have a severe allergic reaction to an orange.
Many people do not realise allergies and asthma go hand-in-hand and about 90 percent of kids with asthma also have allergies.
(With Agency inputs)