AstraZeneca hunts stem cell cure for eye disorder
London: AstraZeneca took its first significant step into regenerative medicine using stem cells on Monday by signing a deal with University College London to develop ways to repair eyesight in people with diabetes.
Previously, AstraZeneca`s interest in stem cells had been primarily in using them as a drug discovery tool.
The three-year research collaboration will see scientists from the drugmaker and the university teaming up to seek new treatments for diabetic retinopathy.
Most patients with type 1 diabetes will develop retinopathy and about 20 to 30 percent will become blind. A large number of patients with type 2, or adult-onset, diabetes also develop retinopathy as their underlying disease progresses.
The research work is early stage and will not result in a medicine getting to market for many years but the collaboration is a sign of big drugmakers` growing interest in the therapeutic potential of stem cells.
The deal also emphasizes AstraZeneca`s increasing focus on diabetes as a disease area. The Anglo-Swedish company has a recently launched diabetes drug called Onglyza, which was developed with Bristol-Myers Squibb, and the two partners are also working on a second one called dapagliflozin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Why are Antarctica ice-levels increasing? NASA has the answer!
- Buyout group to back rival's bid for Tata's UK steel assets - Sources
- French Open 2016: Angry Nick Kyrgios, Petra Kvitova pass chilly Roland Garros tests
- Working towards a technology which enables consumer to control electrical appliances at home sitting in office: TPDDL CEO Praveer Sinha
- Modi in Iran: PM promises big celebration of Guru Gobind Singh's birth anniversary