Australian musicians suffer from pain, anxiety: Study
Sydney: Most of Australia's classical musicians are suffering from performance-related physical pain, anxiety and depression, according to a study released Wednesday by the University of Sydney.
The university research surveyed 377 professional musicians from eight state and opera orchestras and found that 84 percent of them have experienced pain severe enough to impair their performance, Xinhua reported.
Half of the respondents said they suffered moderate to severe performance-related anxiety while a third had symptoms of depression.
The findings, published in the online journal Psychology of Music, were based on the first study to look at the relationship between performance-related pain, anxiety, and depression in professional musicians.
The research was undertaken by Dianna Kenny, a professor in the School of Psychology in the Sydney University's Faculty of Science, and Bronwen Ackermann of the university's School of Medical Science.
"Seventy-five percent of the musicians showed the expected relationship between pain and depression," Kenny said.
"Those reporting no depression were also more likely to report little to no pain. Those reporting some depression reported higher levels of pain," she added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know