Awareness is required to prevent Diabetes
Bhubaneswar: Alarmed at the number of diabetes patients in the country touching 63 million, experts have advocated a systematic awareness drive about the ailment and the need for a disciplined life.
Addressing a function on the occasion of World Diabetes Day at Kanungo Institute of Diabetes Specialities (KIDS) here yesterday, they expressed concern that around 63 million people are suffering from diabetes in India with prevalence rate of 9.1 per cent.
As per an estimate, Odisha alone has 40 lakh people suffering from diabetes with prevalence rate of 10 per cent, said KIDS Chairman Alok Kanungo.
Progress, prosperity and sudden change in lifestyle carry diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure, heart and kidney diseases, he said.
Blood sugar level increases when insulin secretion decreases from pancreas which affects the heart, kidney, eye, feet and nerves, Kanungo said.
Underlining the need for a regulated life style, Lok Sabha MP Prasanna Patsani said diabetes patients must lead a disciplined life with moderate physical exercise.
Patsani and other speakers strongly favoured a systematic campaign to create awareness among the masses about diabetes and the need for leading a regulated life in order to remain healthy.
On the occasion KIDS, which also celebrated its foundation day, organised a free diabetes detection camp for nearly 300 people, diet exhibition, drawing, debate and essay competition among children to create awareness.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls