Awareness is required to prevent Diabetes
Bhubaneswar: Alarmed at the number of diabetes patients in the country touching 63 million, experts have advocated a systematic awareness drive about the ailment and the need for a disciplined life.
Addressing a function on the occasion of World Diabetes Day at Kanungo Institute of Diabetes Specialities (KIDS) here yesterday, they expressed concern that around 63 million people are suffering from diabetes in India with prevalence rate of 9.1 per cent.
As per an estimate, Odisha alone has 40 lakh people suffering from diabetes with prevalence rate of 10 per cent, said KIDS Chairman Alok Kanungo.
Progress, prosperity and sudden change in lifestyle carry diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure, heart and kidney diseases, he said.
Blood sugar level increases when insulin secretion decreases from pancreas which affects the heart, kidney, eye, feet and nerves, Kanungo said.
Underlining the need for a regulated life style, Lok Sabha MP Prasanna Patsani said diabetes patients must lead a disciplined life with moderate physical exercise.
Patsani and other speakers strongly favoured a systematic campaign to create awareness among the masses about diabetes and the need for leading a regulated life in order to remain healthy.
On the occasion KIDS, which also celebrated its foundation day, organised a free diabetes detection camp for nearly 300 people, diet exhibition, drawing, debate and essay competition among children to create awareness.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why