Babies in womb can feel pain at 35 weeks
Washington: Babies can distinguish pain from general touch after around 35 to 37 weeks of gestation, just before they are born.
Scientists show that brain cell (neural) activity gradually changes from an immature state to a more adult-like state from 35 weeks of development.
This change may indicate that neural circuitry allows babies to process pain as a separate sensation from touch, the journal Current Biology reports.
Rebeccah Slater, neuroscientist at the University College London, said: "Premature babies who are younger than 35 weeks have similar brain responses when they experience touch or pain.
"After this time, there is a gradual change, rather than a sudden shift, when the brain starts to process the two types of stimuli in a distinct manner," added Slater, according to a University College statement.
Scientists looked at the brain activity of 46 babies at the University College Hospital of which 21 were born prematurely.
This permitted them to measure activity at different stages of brain development, from babies at just 28 weeks of development through to those born full term at 37 weeks.
Scientists measured babies` electrical brain activity when they were undergoing a routine heel lance -- a standard procedure essential to collect blood samples for clinical use.
In premature babies, a response to the heel lance of non-specific neuronal bursts -- general bursts of electrical activity in the brain - was recorded.
After 35-37 weeks, the babies` response changed to localised activity in specific areas of the brain, indicating they were now perceiving painful stimulation as separate from touch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM