Babies of overweight mums run risk of obesity
Washington: Aspiring moms may be advised to achieve a healthy weight before they become pregnant or their babies may run the risk of obesity later.
Now, studies by Kartik Shankar and colleagues could provide new insights into those recommendations.
Shankar, assistant professor of paediatrics, University of Arkansas (UA), is taking a new, closer look at how influences that occur in the womb -- and perhaps during the first few months of life -- might affect development of a child`s ability to regulate his or her weight later in life.
In fact, the child`s body-weight-regulating mechanisms might be permanently altered by maternal signals associated with the mother`s own weight, according to Shankar.
Such maternal programming of the unborn child could increase the risk that the child would become an overweight or obese adult and would have a higher risk of obesity-related afflictions.
A preliminary study that Shankar and his group conducted, has led to follow-up investigations now under way in his lab.
Shankar looked at weight gain among rat pups whose dads were lean and whose mothers, called "dams," were either lean or overweight (from overfeeding) before conception and throughout pregnancy.
All offspring were of normal weight at birth and at weaning. However, when the weaned offspring were given free access to an unlimited amount of high-fat rations, the offspring of overweight dams showed remarkable sensitivity to the high-fat rations.
They gained significantly more weight, and more of that weight as fat mass, than did the offspring of lean dams, said a UA release.
The study strongly suggests that exposure to the mother`s obesity while in the womb results in programming of the offspring`s metabolism and body-weight-control mechanisms. The dams` obesity alone was sufficient to significantly increase the pups` susceptibility to obesity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'