Banish dry skin this winter with these tips
The air is laden with the smell of winters. Winter is finally here with its chill. The image of cosying up in bed with a hot cup of coffee is what this season brings. But don’t get lost in your lazy thoughts because the very blissful winters can play havoc on your skin and be quite brutal. In winter, low temperatures, low humidity and strong, harsh winds deplete skin of its natural lipid layer, which keeps the skin from drying out. Enjoy winters but be very careful about your skin as the dry rough winds can take away your rosy glow and leave your skin tattered. Worried? Don’t be! Try these simple skin care tips:
Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize
As the weather changes, your skin care routine also should. Pick up a moisturizer that is oil-based, rather than water-based oil. The oil will create a protective layer on the skin that retains more moisture than any cream or lotion can. So always stay moisturised and make this your winter mantra.
Winter air lacks moisture which causes the skin to become dry and sensitive. To prevent further dryness it’s preferable to drink one or two litres everyday. Also consume fruits and vegetables like apples, celery and cucumbers which have enough water content in them. These food items curb your hunger and boost the water intake to keep you healthy and hydrated all the day along.
Put on your sunscreen
Get it out of your head that sunscreen is only meant for summers. Going out without wearing sunscreen can lead to redness, burning, breakouts and other damage. Winter sun can still damage your skin. So, try applying a broad-spectrum sunscreen to your face before you step out in the open.Keep a sunscreen handy and apply it again if you intend to stay out for a long time.
Switch to fish oil pills
Omega-3 fish oil pills may soothe super dry skin, studies suggest. Patients who took fish oils pills witnessed significant results within a few week with their skin, hair and nails improving markedly.
Humidifier is a must
To restore environmental humidity inside your home during the dry in the winter months, use a humidifier. Humidifier can prevent inflammation and irritation of the mucus membranes, prevent and treat dry skin and congestion.
Avoid very hot water
Though it feels awesome, but one should never shower or wash their face with hot water. It breaks the capillaries in the face and also the lipid barriers in the skin which leads to a loss of moisture. According to experts, adding a few drops of Jojoba or almond oil to a bath can nourish and hydrate dry skin.
Don’t lick your chapped lips
Instead of licking your dry and chapped lips which cause further dryness, keep enough of lip balms and lotions with you. To try a home remedy, you can also apply few drops of olive oil mixed with few drops of honey to your lips for few minutes to keep it hydrated.
Love thy hands
The skin of our hands is thinner than other parts of the body. So they need extra care in winters as they are prone to irritation and dryness. Apply a nice cream and well moisturise them before going to bed. Whenever you go out, slip your hands in those thick gloves, it will protect your hands as well as your nails from sudden breakages.
Notice that cracked heel
Cracked heels can seriously be a pain in winters. To provide some comfort to those ailing heels repair them by soaking in warm water. Apply some moisturising lotion or a foot massage cream and rub it gently over. Always put on loose socks and slippers even when you strut around the house. Pamper your feet well and go for regular pedicures as it will keep your feet soft, hydrated and crack-free.
Maintain a healthy lifestyle
A well-rounded approach towards your life and body also plays a significant role in determining your skin type. Skin sensitivities can be triggered by lifestyle factors such as diet and stress. The overall health, both mind and body is reflected by our skin. So, enjoy a healthy diet along with innovative fitness activities to alleviate tension ensuring the mind, body and skin to be in great shape.
So, enjoy winters and stay glowing and beautiful.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India