Bariatric surgery can resolve sexual dysfunction in obese women
Washington: A new research has revealed that bariatric surgery could prove useful in improving female sexual dysfunction (FSD) apart from helping people lose weight.
As many as 54 sexually active women, with an average body mass index (BMI) of 45, were studied before and after having either laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB) or Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery.
It was found that that 63 percent of the women had FSD as measured by the Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI), a standardized test used to assess sexual function. However after six months of surgery 68 percent no longer had FSD.
Most of the women reported major improvements in all aspects of sexual function, including desire, arousal, lubrication, orgasm, satisfaction and less or no pain during or after intercourse.
"Sexual functioning appears to improve quickly and dramatically after bariatric surgery and it doesn`t seem to matter if a patient undergoes gastric bypass or laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding," said Dale Bond, assistant professor of psychiatry and human behavior at The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University.
"Clearly significant weight loss plays a role, but further research is needed to determine the extent to which improvements in body image, obesity-related diseases, hormonal mechanisms, and emotional health contribute to better sexual functioning," Bond added.
This study was presented at the 27th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS).
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case