Battered baby dies after cardiac arrest
Bangalore: Three-month-old baby Afreen, allegedly battered and abused by her father for being born a girl, died at a hospital here today after suffering a cardiac arrest.
Afreen had convulsions at 10.00 AM and later suffered a cardiac arrest, Dr Somegowda, Resident Medical Superintendent of Vani Vilas Hospital, where the child was admitted two days ago said.
The baby was in a semi-comatose state after her condition deteriorated today following two convulsions last evening.
Afreen, who was on life support system, had hurried respiration of 30-40 per minute against the normal 20-25 and also Pathycardia (increased heart rate), Gowda said.
Speaking to reporters, hospital authorities said Afreen was getting convulsions and bleeding which aggravated the cardiac arrest, leading to the baby`s death at 11.10 AM.
Vani Vilas hospital had sought help from the National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS) for Afreen`s treatment.
Her father Umar Farooq, who allegedly tortured the baby because he wanted a boy, is in judicial custody till April 21.
He was arrested on April 8 on a complaint by Afreen`s mother Reshma, who allegedly witnessed the abuse and wants the hardest punishment for him.
Afreen was admitted to the paediatric intensive care in the hospital on Sunday. She had cigarette burns on her head and a dislocated neck.
Police had said Farooq has confessed to having tried to kill his daughter as he did not want a girl baby.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Women subjected to torture by Mexican police, armed forces: Report
- Cameron tells EU free movement reform `key` to post-Brexit ties: UK govt source
- Shocking! Teenage girl gang-raped inside Delhi school by friend, security guard
- Soon, education till Class 10 may become free
- US, European stocks rise, ending Brexit rout