Bereaved parents likely to die of `broken heart`
London: Parents, especially mothers, who lose a baby before its first birthday are more likely to die early themselves from "broken heart", a new study has claimed.
Researchers at York and Stirling universities in the UK found that bereaved parents were up to four times more likely to die or become widowed in the decade following the child`s death.
This applied to parents who suffered a stillbirth, orwhose baby died in the first year of life, the Daily Mail eported.
Past studies have suggested there is a similar effect after the death of a spouse, which is often referred to as dying of a "broken heart". But the impact of losing a child
has not been analysed to the same extent.
The new research, published in BMJ Supportive and Palliative Care, is the first to look at the effect on British parents.
The effect, according to the researchers, is particularly pronounced in mothers, who are 1.5 times more likely to die early in the first 25 years after a death compared to mothers
who have not lost a baby.
At 35 years, the risk was still 1.2 times higher for bereaved mothers compared to those who had not lost a baby, they said.
Describing their findings as a "major concern", the authors said large-scale studies are needed to identify the causes of death and whether anything can be done to help the
"The stress of bereavement may involve significant physiological effects -- for example suppressing the immune system thereby increasing one`s propensity to disease," they
Another theory is that stillbirths and infant deaths are more common in people with poor health, thereby contributing to their own lower life expectancy, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH