Bidi brand banned in US
Washington: Food and Drug Administration has banned a tobacco company from selling their bidi products.
Jash International's Sutra Bidis Red, Sutra Bidis Menthol, Sutra Bidis Red Cone, and Sutra Bidis Menthol Cone were found, By FDA, as not substantially equivalent to tobacco products that were previously sold as of Feb. 15, 2007, CBS News reported.
The four tobacco products can no longer be sold or imported into the U.S, and any product that is already in the country will be subjected to law enforcement action, which includes seizure.
Establishments continuing to sell these items could be found in violation of the law.
The ban is the first one that has been issued by the FDA since the 2009 Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, which gave the watchdog expanded powers for tobacco regulation.
The FDA said that company also did not provide the names of tobacco products equivalent to theirs, which had been approved.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?