Big bottoms and thighs insure longevity
London: A big bottom and thighs could be your insurance to longevity.
Too much abdominal fat seems to up the risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes, while piling on the pounds around rear and top of the legs lowers it.
So Michael Jensen of Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, in the US and colleagues overfed a group of men and women for eight weeks to see how fat grew in their bodies, reports the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
They measured body fat before and after and found on average participants put on 5.5 pounds of upper-body fat and 3.3 pounds of lower body fat, according to the Daily Mail.
But there was a striking difference in that fat cells around the stomach and heart grew in size but not in number by producing more fat-synthesising proteins.
The reverse was true for thigh fat cells, which increased in number -- but did not get bigger.
Jensen said the findings challenge the concept that the number of fat cells in the body remains stable in adults.
They also support the idea that increased capacity to produce lower-body fat cells creates some form of protection to the upper body and potentially helps prevent disease.
The latest findings could help to explain the benefits of having a pear-shaped body.
In future, drugs that alter the way fat is stored around the body could be used to combat heart and other diseases.
Last year a Danish study of 3,000 people showed men and women with thighs more than 23.6 inches in circumference have a lower risk of heart disease.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know