Binge drinking can lead to stroke at young age
Washington: People who take three or more alcoholic drinks per day may be at higher risk of experiencing a stroke earlier in life than those who do not drink heavily.
A new study supported by the University of Lille Nord de France found that heavy drinkers experienced a stroke at an average age of 60, fourteen years before their non-heavy drinking counterparts.
"Heavy drinking has been consistently identified as a risk factor for this type of stroke, which is caused by bleeding in the brain rather than a blood clot," said study author Charlotte Cordonnier.
"Our study focuses on the effects of heavy alcohol use on the timeline of stroke and the long-term outcome for those people," Cordonnier said in a statement.
For the study, 540 people with an average age of 71 whom had a type of stroke called intracerebral hemorrhage were interviewed about their drinking habits.
Doctors also interviewed the participants or the caregivers or relatives about the participants` drinking habits.
As many as 137 people, or 25 per cent, were heavy drinkers, which was defined as having three or more drinks per day, or about 1.6 ounces per day of "pure" alcohol.
Participants then underwent CT brain scans and their medical records were reviewed.
The study found that heavy drinkers experienced a stroke at an average age of 60, 14 years before the average age of their non-heavy drinking counterparts.
Among people younger than 60 who had a stroke that occurred in the deep part of the brain, heavy drinkers were more likely to die within two years of the study follow-up than non-heavy drinkers.
"It`s important to keep in mind that drinking large amounts of alcohol contributes to a more severe form of stroke at a younger age in people who had no significant past medical history," Cordonnier said.
The research was published in the journal `Neurology`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH