Biocon inks pact with Bristol-Myers for insulin drug candidate
New Delhi: Biotechnology major Biocon today said it has entered into an agreement with Bristol-Myers Squibb for it`s oral insulin new drug candidate IN-105.
Under the terms of the option agreement, Bristol- Myers Squibb will have the right to exercise an option to obtain an exclusive worldwide licence to the programme.
It will, however, conduct the clinical trials according to a pre-agreed development programme up to the completion of Phase II, as per the agreement, Biocon said.
If the US based company exercises the option to licence IN -105, following the successful completion of Phase II trial, the domestic firm will receive a licence fee in addition to potential regulatory and commercial milestone payments and royalties on commercial sales outside India, it added.
Biocon said it will retain the exclusive rights to IN-105 in India.
Bristol-Myers Squibb will assume full responsibility for the development programme, including all development and commercialisation activities outside India, it added.
Commenting on the development, Biocon MD and Chairman Kiran-Mazumdar Shaw said: "This agreement is one huge step closer to realising the dream of bringing oral insulin to market".
Diabetes is a chronic disease that affects about 350 million people worldwide and it is estimated that direct and indirect costs of the disease to overall healthcare system amounts to over USD 650 billion worldwide, Biocon said.
Shares of Biocon were today trading at Rs 304.65 per scrip on BSE, down 0.70 per cent from its previous close.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi