Biocon`s Psoriasis molecule shows positive results
New Delhi: Biotechnology major Biocon today said its drug molecule `Itolizumab`, which could be used to treat Psoriasis, has shown positive results in the Phase III trials.
"Itolizumab, the first humanised anti CD-6 monoclonal antibody, successfully met the pre-specified primary endpoint of significant improvement in PASI-75 (Psoriasis Area and Severity Index) score after 12 weeks of treatment in patients with moderate to severe psoriasis compared to placebo," Biocon said in a statement.
The 52-week study conducted across the country enrolled 200 patients had a 12-week placebo controlled phase, 16-week consolidation and 24-week randomised withdrawal phase, it added.
Commenting on the outcome of the study Biocon CMD Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw said: "Itolizumab represents a significant advancement in the treatment of psoriasis and potentially ther autoimmune diseases with an excellent risk-benefit profile."
This could possibly become the first novel biologic developed and approved from India and is an important milestone for Biocon in its pursuit of affordable innovation, she added.
Shaw further said: "We look forward to taking this molecule to the market across multiple indications with a global partner to ensure that affordable innovation reaches patients worldwide in a timely manner."
The company is also planning to accelerate clinical development in other autoimmune conditions like MS (Multiple Sclerosis) and RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) Biocon President R&D Abhijit Barve said.
Shares of Biocon were today trading at Rs 278 in the late afternoon trade on BSE, up 1.55 per cent from its previous close.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi