Bird Flu – Causes, symptoms, prevention & cure
What is bird flu?
•It is an infectious disease caused by bird flu virus( H5N1 Influenza A virus )
•Bird flu affect mainly the domestic poultry ( chicken, ducks, etc ) and less commonly in animals like pigs
•Very occasionally, humans may also be infected with this virus
How does bird flu spread to humans?
By close contact with:
•Infected poultry ( chicken, ducks, etc ) and their dropping
•Surfaces contaminated by infected birds and their dropping
Common symptoms of bird flu in humans
•Fever (38 degree C or higher)
•Difficulty in breathing, pneumonia
•Pain in abdomen, diarrhea
How does bird flu spread in birds?
•Bird flu spreads from infected birds to other birds through contact
•Contact with nasal and respiratory secretion
•Contact with faeces of infected birds
•Contamination of feed and water
•Contact with contaminated equipments
Signs in birds infected with bird flu?
•Lack of energy and appetite
•Swellings of the heads, eyelids, combs, legs
•Purple discolorations of the combs / “dirty” feather
•Coughing and sneezing
How can we protect ourselves from bird flu?
•Avoid close contact with infected and suspected birds and animal, specially their dropping, saliva, and other secretions
•Avoid consuming raw/ uncooked / partially cooked poultry products such as chicken and eggs
•Cooking ( half an hour and 70 degree C ) kills the bird flu virus
•It makes food safe
•Poultry and poultry products can be consumed following good hygienic and cooking practices
•After handling poultry and eggs, wash hands or other exposed part with soap and water
For any flu-like illness, seek medical help immediately. Bird Flu treatment generally involves hospitalization as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Ireland and France urge quick 'Brexit' from European Union
- Mehbooba Mufti meets families affected by Kashmir violence
- Thousands bid emotional farewell as hockey legend Mohammed Shahid laid to rest
- Kudankulam unit 2 physical start-up process begun: Sources
- Derecognise AAP in wake of its activist's suicide: BJP