Black Cohosh `may not be effective against hot flashes`
Washington: Although many women coping with hot flashes and other distressing symptoms of menopause have turned to black cohosh supplements as a treatment alternative, there is no evidence that the herb is effective, a new study has claimed.
“I was a little surprised of the outcome of the review given the large number of perimenopausal women that use the herb across the globe for the management of menopausal symptoms, as well as the many manufacturers and therapists that promote the herb for this purpose,” Matthew Leach, lead reviewer from the University of South Australia, said.
Leach and his co-reviewer evaluated 16 studies involving 2,027 menopausal women. Study participants used an average daily oral preparation of 40 mg of black cohosh for an average of 23 weeks.
Treatments for randomly assigned comparison groups included using placeboes, hormone therapy, red clover, or antidepressants.
The reviewers found there was insufficient evidence to support the effectiveness of black cohosh for menopausal symptoms. There was no significant difference between it and the placebo groups in changing hot flash frequency.
Compared to black cohosh, hormone therapy significantly reduced hot flash frequency.
“I have many women patients who have tried black cohosh,” Brent A. Bauer from the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota said.
“I would say the response seems to roughly fall into three camps: those that get a pretty noticeable improvement in symptoms and continue to use it long term, those that get some improvement but not enough to get enthusiastic about it, and those that try it and perceive no benefit at all,” Bauer added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!