Black market implants threatening lives in US
Washington: Many women in the US seeking curves like Hollywood celebrities are increasingly turning to the black market for plastic surgery, little realising its deadly consequences.
During a preliminary hearing in a Mississippi court earlier this week, prosecutors said 37-year-old Karima Gordon died in March after being injected in the buttocks with a silicon-like substance.
Morris Garner, 52, a transgender man, is facing murder charges in the case.
Authorities say Gordon wanted to be a model and found Garner through the Internet, reports said.
Attorney General`s Office investigator Lee McDivitt testified Monday that the Georgia medical examiner, who performed an autopsy on Gordon, said she died from an embolism as the injected foreign substance blocked the flow of blood to her arteries.
"Brain surgery would probably be a less invasive surgery than having to remove the buttocks of this victim all the way down to the meat and bone to get all of this substance out of her," testified McDivitt.
Earlier this month, Barbara Nieto (29), a New York spa owner, pled guilty to unauthorised practice of profession.
Nieto was sentenced to two years in prison and fined for illegally performing liposuction and administering butt-lifting injections to a woman who nearly died of septic poisoning.
Another black market plastic surgery made headlines in April.
Miami police told media about Oneal Ron Morris,30, who performed buttocks injections on a number of patients using a mixture of cement, mineral oil, and Fix-a-Flat tire sealant. She then sealed the incisions with super glue.
After two women who had the procedure ended up sick and deformed, Oneal was arrested. Since then, several more alleged victims came forward to share their stories.
Some of the victims in these black market plastic surgery cases didn`t live long enough to share their stories.
In early 2011, a 20-year-old British woman traveled to a US hotel room for buttocks implants and later died.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America