Blind man regains sight after 30 yrs with bionic eye`s help
London: In a ray of hope for millions of
those who cannot see, a blind man, who underwent a "bionic
eye" implant trial at a British hospital, has partially
regained vision thirty years after losing his sight.
Peter Lane (51) from Stretford is one of the 32 people
who participated in an international trial of `bionic eye` at
Manchester Royal Eye Hospital earlier this year.
Peter, who lost his sight to a degenerative genetic
disease in his mid-twenties, can now read simple words with
the help of the implant.
The device allows him to see the outline of objects as a
series of dots of lights and helps him in reading also, Daily
"It was an amazing feeling after not being able to see
anything to be seeing letters and words on a special screen. I
was there reading dad, mat, cat," Peter said.
"I`m just reading small words at the moment and they
(doctors) try us with smaller letters each time. It`s a start
and they`ve said they will get me a screen so I can read at
home," he said.
Peter said now he feels more confident and independent
when he goes out.
"The images I see move and that takes a bit of getting
used to, but I can see cars — they look like cotton wool. It`s
exciting to be part of the trial," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi