Blood test to tell whether anti-depressants work
Washington: In a brand new discovery in the field of psychiatry, scientists have found a new method by which it can be known whether an anti-depressant drug will work on a depressed patient or not. It involves a blood test for a protein called Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF).
Researchers made the discovery while conducting a study at the Loyola University Medical Center in Illinois, US. The study involved a group of patients who took Escitalopram for major depressive disorder. Escitalopram belongs to a class of anti-depressants called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).
More than 85 percent of depressed patients who had higher than normal blood levels of VEGF, experienced partial or complete relief after taking escitalopram.
Conversely, fewer than 10 percent of depressed patients who had low levels of VEGF responded to the drug.
"This would be the first time we would have a predictor for how well a patient would respond to an anti-depressant. It would greatly benefit our patients if we could predict ahead of time whether a given medication would be effective for a certain patient," said Angelos Halaris who led the study.
About 60 percent of depressed patients do not respond fully to the first prescribed drugs. Consequently, doctors often must prescribe a different medication again and again before finding one that works.
Scientists aren`t certain why SSRIs work in some patients but not in others. One possible mechanism is that SSRIs help restore a chemical balance in the brain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow