Blueberries `can ward off heart disease`
London: Want to ward off heart disease? Eat blueberries daily, recommends a new study.
Blueberries are already known for helping to guard against cancer and Alzheimer`s disease. Now, researchers, led by the US Department of Agriculture, claim that the fruit can also help prevent a cardiac arrest or stroke.
They have found that blueberries fight hardening of the arteries, which often causes a cardiac arrest or stroke.
The researchers have based their findings on an analysis of an experiment on mice who were fed blueberries. The study found a big reduction in blocked arteries of the laboratory animals, the `Daily Express` reported.
According to them, this is the first direct evidence that they could beat heart disease that`s said to be the biggest killer in the western world.
The researchers, based in Arkansas, now want to discover whether giving youngsters a diet of blueberries while growing up would help protect against artery hardening in later life.
Lead researcher Xianli Wu said: "Prevention may be specially important in light of the epidemic of childhood obesity, which increases the risk of artery hardening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why