Blueberries `can ward off heart disease`
London: Want to ward off heart disease? Eat blueberries daily, recommends a new study.
Blueberries are already known for helping to guard against cancer and Alzheimer`s disease. Now, researchers, led by the US Department of Agriculture, claim that the fruit can also help prevent a cardiac arrest or stroke.
They have found that blueberries fight hardening of the arteries, which often causes a cardiac arrest or stroke.
The researchers have based their findings on an analysis of an experiment on mice who were fed blueberries. The study found a big reduction in blocked arteries of the laboratory animals, the `Daily Express` reported.
According to them, this is the first direct evidence that they could beat heart disease that`s said to be the biggest killer in the western world.
The researchers, based in Arkansas, now want to discover whether giving youngsters a diet of blueberries while growing up would help protect against artery hardening in later life.
Lead researcher Xianli Wu said: "Prevention may be specially important in light of the epidemic of childhood obesity, which increases the risk of artery hardening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day