`Body shape index` more accurate predictor of mortality than `body mass index`
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Beware if you have excess belly fat as that might put you in danger.
A new study reveals that “body shape index” is a more accurate predictor of mortality than “body mass index” (BMI).
Nir Krakauer, an assistant professor of civil engineering in City College of New York's Grove School of Engineering, and his father, Jesse Krakauer, MD, developed a new method- A Body Shape Index (ABSI) in 2012- to determine the risk specifically associated with abdominal obesity.
Now, a follow-up study, published on February 20 by the online journal PLOS ONE, supports the father-son duo technique and confirmed that A Body Shape Index (ABSI) is a more effective predictor of mortality than body mass index, the most common measure used to define obesity.
The results tracked closely with the earlier study, which used data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), conducted in the US between 1999 and 2004.
This provides stronger evidence that ABSI is a valid indicator of the risk of premature death across different populations.
The study also showed that unlike BMI, ABSI incorporates waist circumference into its calculations, which helps account for the increased health risks of carrying excess weight in the lower abdomen.
Also, because the data came from two surveys seven years apart, the researchers were able to assess the effect of change in ABSI on mortality.
The researchers found an increase in ABSI correlated with increased risk of death, and that the more recent ABSI measurement was a more reliable predictor.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 28, 2015
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!