Body shapers pose serious health risks: Experts
London: Body shaping underwear popular among women to achieve a slimmer look can lead to gastrointestinal problems, nerve damage and even deadly blood clots, experts have warned.
The undergarments help women achieve a smooth, flat stomach but are a serious health risk as they may restrict blood flow. Even teenagers have needed medical treatment after wearing these tight garments, the Daily Express reported.
The problem arises if the body shapers are too tight and restrict blood flow from the pelvic area to the heart and lungs.
"When women wear really tightly configured clothing it can decrease the blood flow. This can lead to blood clots which can travel to the lungs, heart and the brain and even lead to death," Dr Farzaneh Sabi, American obstetrics specialist, was quoted as saying by the paper.
Dr Sabi, who is at the Kaiser Permanente Hospital in California, said women should be careful not to choose body shapers that are too small. She said shapewear is not a good substitute for losing weight.
"You are just squeezing the body too much so you are placing either direct pressure on to a nerve or squeezing internal organs," Dr Orly Avitzur, a neurologist and medical adviser to the US Consumer Association, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof