Bone marrow cells helping regenerate bladder
Washington: Two specific cell populations, harvested from a patient`s healthy bone marrow, are helping pave the way to bladder regeneration, says a new study.
Cells from the bone marrow are being used to recreate the organ`s smooth muscle, vasculature, and nerve tissue, the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences reports.
The research, led by Arun K Sharma, research assistant professor in urology at the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and colleagues, offers an alternative to current tissue-engineering strategies.
"We are manipulating a person`s own disease-free cells for bladder tissue reformation," said Sharma, member of the Institute for BioNanotechnology in Medicine, according to a Northwestern statement.
"We have used the spina bifida patient population as a proof of concept model because those patients typically have bladder dysfunction.
"However, this regeneration approach could be used for people suffering from a variety of bladder issues where the bone marrow micro-environment is deemed normal," added Sharma.
Spina bifida is a spinal cord disease; the nerves which carry messages between the bladder and the brain do not work properly, causing an inability to pass urine.
The most common surgical option, augmentation cystoplasty, involves placing a "patch" derived from an individual`s bowel over a part of the diseased organ in order to increase its size.
But the procedure remains problematic because the bowel tissue introduces long-term complications like the development of electrolyte imbalance and bladder cancer. Because Sharma`s procedure does not use bowel tissue, it offers the benefits of augmentation without long-term risks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical