Booster broccoli to reduce heart diseases, cancer
Melbourne: Scientists claimed to have
developed a new variety of broccoli that is not only grown
naturally, but also tastes sweeter and has 40 per cent more
anti-oxidants than the normal to reduce risks of heart disease
Scientists at Victoria`s Department of Primary
Industries (DPI) here, have discovered "Booster Broccoli", a
new variety that is the first in the group of super vegetables
and contains more anti-oxidants than the usual variety , the
ABC report said today.
DPI`s leading scientist Rod Jones said that the new
broccoli is not the result of genetic engineering.
"All we`ve done is gone back and minded nature`s
natural diversity," he said.
Jones also said that DPI had partnerships with large
companies and had tested 400 varieties of broccoli before
selecting the one that had the highest anti-oxidant content
and now they have decided to breed the "Booster Broccoli".
"It`s also about improving the health of our
population in general by getting people to eat vegetables that
we know are very good for them," he added.
"It`s a premium branded product so the returns to
growers should be higher," Jones said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!