Boozing in early adolescence could increase breast cancer risk
Washington: Researchers have linked increased breast cancer risk to drinking between early adolescence and first full-term pregnancy.
Co-author Graham Colditz, MD, DrPH, associate director for cancer prevention and control at Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine, said that more and more heavy drinking is occurring on college campuses and during adolescence, and not enough people are considering future risk. But, according to our research, the lesson is clear: If a female averages a drink per day between her first period and her first full-term pregnancy, she increases her risk of breast cancer by 13 percent.
First author Ying Liu, MD, PhD, a School of Medicine instructor in the Division of Public Health Sciences, said that they also found that for every bottle of beer, glass of wine or shot of liquor consumed daily, a young woman increases her risk of proliferative benign breast disease by 15 percent and although such lesions are noncancerous, their presence increases breast cancer risk by as much as 500 percent.
She said that parents should educate their daughters about the link between drinking and risk of breast cancer and breast disease, asserting that`s very important as this time period is very critical.
The findings are based on a review of the health histories of 91,005 mothers enrolled in the Nurses` Health Study II from 1989 to 2009.
The study has been published online in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory