Botox can help treat more than just wrinkles
Washington: Botox, which is best known as a cosmetic treatment for frown lines, can also effectively treat the after effects of Bell`s palsy and other serious facial nerve problems.
Bell`s palsy results from damage to the facial nerve that controls muscles on one side of the face.
Ear-nose-throat surgeon Dr. Matthew Kircher of Loyola University Medical Center is giving patients Botox injections to treat facial nerve disorders that sometimes occur after Bell`s palsy, including unwanted facial movements known as synkinesis.
Botox injections work by weakening or paralyzing certain muscles or by temporarily blocking the nerve input into the muscles.
Facial synkinesis is the involuntary movement of one set of muscles when the patient tries to move another set of muscles. For example, when the patient blinks, the mouth smiles or grimaces.
Botox can improve the symmetry of the face and reduce muscle contractures and spasms.
Botox also is effective for platysmal banding - verticle lines that develop in the neck as a result of muscle contractions.
Kircher said that he starts out conservatively, treating patients with dilute doses.
After seeing how well the patient does, Kircher adjusts the dose if necessary.
Botox is not a cure. The drug wears off after three or four months, so patients need repeat injections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi