Botox may not be effective in treating migraines
London: Botox, the popular anti-wrinkle jab, is unlikely to offer much benefit in the treatment of chronic migraine, say experts.
The injection has been licensed in the UK and US as a preventative treatment for chronic cases.
However, a review of evidence by the Drug and Therapeutics Bulletin said it could not "see a place" for giving Botox to migraine sufferers.
Migraine Action said patients should still be given the option of having Botox as some had seen improvements.
It is not clear how the neurotoxin works in chronic migraines but it is thought that it may block pain signals.
A trial of more than 1,300 patients showed success in reducing the frequency of headaches.
However, experts from the Drug and Therapeutics Bulletin, which reviews medical treatments in the UK, questioned the selection of patients in the trial, saying the diagnosis of chronic migraine was incorrect in some.
Botox leads to a worsening of headache symptoms in around one in 10 people, they said, with a similar number developing itching, rash, pain, stiffness and muscle spasms.
"These discrepancies and the limited evidence of benefit make it difficult for us to see a place for botulinum toxin A as treatment for chronic migraine," the BBC quoted authors as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- MDSU BSTC 2016 (bstcmdsu2016.com): Check Maharshi Dayanand Saraswati University college allotment list 2016
- CBSE to conduct NEET-II on July 24
- BJP demands CBI enquiry into AAP leader Santosh Koli's death
- PCB: Shahryar Khan gets Nawaz Sharif's nod to continue as Chairman
- Clarify on 'talaaq' write-up in BJP journal: Shiv Sena to Devendra Fadnavis