Boys hitting puberty a year earlier
It`s not just girls, boys too are hitting puberty a year earlier, a new study has revealed.
The research in Bulgaria showed that boys are on a faster track to puberty reaching the milestone an average year earlier than their fathers` generation.
Researchers found that boys today start to develop at 12 years old, while those in the 1970s began changing when they were aged 13.
The findings suggest that trends towards earlier puberty aren`t limited to girls, who have already been shown to be developing sexually at increasingly younger ages.
Researchers from Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles compared 6,200 healthy boys with a similar 1970s study.
In the study they measured height, weight, testicular volume, penis length and circumference.
"Studies done several decades ago in the same population reported that a leap forward in sexual development occurs at ages 13 through 16," the Daily Mail quoted study leader Dr Fnu Deepinder, as saying.
"However, our study indicated that this spurt takes place between 12 and 15 years old," Deepinder added.
The team found that boys` testicles did not grow substantially until the beginning of puberty, around age 11.
However, penises appeared to grow gradually from birth to sexual maturity, starting at around 2 inches and reaching an average length of nearly 4 inches by the age of 19.
However, both penises and testicles grew most rapidly between ages 12 to 16, while boys added the most inches in height and gained the most weight between 12 and 14 years old.
The study fund that boys of the same age in the 1970s study had relatively smaller genitalia. However, these size differences disappeared between the two generations by the age of 17.
Dr Deepinder said that genetic, environmental, nutritional and educational factors could all be behind the faster development today, but it remains unclear what impact earlier puberty might have on men`s health.
The study has been published in the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine .
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars