BP drug could harm stroke patients
London: A drug that lowers blood pressure could harm patients if given after a stroke, says a new study.
A Norwegian study of 2,000 stroke patients, who had high blood pressure, found that more of those treated with the drug candesartan suffered from kidney failure than those who were not given it. More also suffered symptoms due to low blood pressure, such as dizziness.
The academics from Oslo University concluded that administering candesartan, which belongs to the family of drugs called angiotensin-receptor blockers, did not give any benefit to the patients "and may actually be harmful", the Lancet reports.
Candesartan is sometimes given to stroke patients to lower blood pressure, which reduces the chances of another event, according to the Telegraph.
However, they said the differences in harmful outcomes between those given the drug and those not was not statistically significant.
Besides, the actual numbers who suffered these side effects was small. Only 18 of the candesartan group suffered kidney failure, compared to 13 in the placebo group; while the figures for low blood pressure symptoms were nine and five respectively.
Elspeth McAusland, of The Stroke Association, UK, said: "This research suggests that stroke physicians should avoid using blood pressure lowering medication at this stage, however more research needs to be done in this area."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video