Zee Media Bureau
Terrebonne Parish, La.: Brain-eating amoeba, also known as Naegleria fowleri, has been reportedly found in an area of Terrebonne Parish.
According to the the Terrebonne Parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness, the dangerous 'brain-eating amoeba' was detected from a water sample at the Terrebonne Consolidated Waterworks District No 1, reports WDSU.
It said the Consolidated Waterworks District No 1 will begin a 60-day chlorine burn to help ensure that any remaining amoeba in the system are eliminated.
Health officials stressed that tap water is safe for residents to drink, but said they should avoid getting water in their noses.
The Naegleria fowleri amoeba is a tiny organism that infects people when “contaminated water enters the body through the nose.