Brain exercises reduce accident risk in older drivers
London: There`s a clinically proven brain fitness training tool that helps older adults reduce their likelihood of being in a car accident.
For instance, playing a computer-based program DriveSharp™ for 20 minutes a day, three times a week helps older drivers cut their crash risk up to 50 percent, stop 22 feet sooner when driving at 90 kmph and increase confidence while driving at night and in stressful conditions.
"It is important for drivers to understand that they can take an active role in staying safe on the road as they age," said Jodi Olshevski, gerontologist and assistant vice president of The Hartford Financial Services Group.
About half of all adults surveyed believe older drivers can improve their skills to allow them to safely drive for more years, said a Hartford Group statement.
Here are 10 brain fitness tips:
Eat dark chocolate - Dark chocolate causes your brain to release dopamine, a chemical that improves overall brain function and improves your memory.
Eat fish - Studies suggest that a diet rich in fish - especially fatty fish like salmon - can improve brain function.
Play ball - Throwing a ball up in the air and catching it, or better yet, trying your hand at juggling, can improve your hand-eye coordination and carries widespread brain health benefits.
Rest - Getting a good night`s sleep is critical to brain function, particularly memory.
Make your hobbies harder - Take on something a bit more difficult than you`re used to. By putting higher demands on your brain, you will have to concentrate harder and re-engage your brain`s learning ability.
Walk on a rocky road - Scientists believe that walking on uneven surfaces like cobblestones improves the vestibular system of the inner ear, which plays a central role in balance and equilibrium and translates to better balance.
Visit a museum - Go on a guided tour and pay very careful attention to what you see and hear. When you get home, write an outline of the tour that includes every detail you remember.
Exercise your brain - Use brain fitness exercises like DriveSharp that promotes the ability for drivers to think faster, focus better, and react more quickly.
Learn to play a new instrument - Playing an instrument helps you exercise many interrelated dimensions of brain function, including listening, control of refined movement, and translation of written notes (sight) to music (movement and sound).
Use your other hand - While you may find it difficult at first, practising an activity such as brushing your teeth with your subordinate hand can drive your brain to make positive changes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?