Brain’s Facebook feature imp for your social life
London: A tiny structure in the human brain that scientists have dubbed ‘Facebook feature’ may determine a rich and varied social life among humans.
Scientists at the Northeastern University have found that amygdala, a small almond shaped structure deep within the temporal lobe, can indicate the complexity of social network amongst humans.
"We know that primates who live in larger social groups have a larger amygdala, even when controlling for overall brain size and body size," said Lisa Feldman Barrett.
"We considered a single primate species, humans, and found that the amygdala volume positively correlated with the size and complexity of social networks in adult humans,” she added.
According to Bradford C Dickerson, "This link between amygdala size and social network size and complexity was observed for both older and younger individuals and for both men and women.”
"This link was specific to the amygdala, because social network size and complexity were not associated with the size of other brain structures,” he added.
Barrett noted that more research is required to understand more about how the amygdala and other brain regions are involved in social behaviour in humans.
"We and other researchers are also trying to understand how abnormalities in these brain regions may impair social behaviour in neurologic and psychiatric disorders."
The study appears in Nature Neuroscience. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof